lunes, 15 de noviembre de 2010

Women in Reform Movements

In this topic, author explains the paper of women in Reform Movements, and it is very interesting.

During the 19th century organized and participated in a great variety of reform movements to improve education, to initiate prison reform, to ban alcoholic drinks, and, during the pre-Civil War period, to free the slaves.
At a time when it was not considered respectable for women to speak before mixed audiences of men and women, the sisters Sarah and Angelina Grimke of South Carolina spoke out against slavery at public meetings.
Society hoped that women being as slaves was, they had to be passive, cooperative and obedient to their master-husbands. But, some women believed in the rights of women and blacks.
In the mid-1800, Dorothea Dix, was a leader in the movements for prison reform and fpr providing menatl hospital care of the needy.
 In 1889, Jane Addams founded Hull House in Chicago, and in 1895, Lillian Wald founded the Henry Street Settlement House in New York City; both women helped inmigrants adjust to city life.
 Women leave their mark in other movements that helped society to be better.
 
I think that women can be listened if they give reasons that help someone, and they help society to improve all the ways that are indispensable to be better.
I think that women can be very insistent tp achieve something, I do not think that women fight for something if they do not have a good reason to do it.
I do not know what else to write, I just have enough information of women that fought for their ideas.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario