lunes, 15 de noviembre de 2010

Fighting for the vote

The author explains the fight of the vote. The first women's rights convetion, were in Seneca Falls in New York in 1848.

It was a declaration that was written bye Elizabeth Cadu Stantos, that it says that "all men and women are created equal" and that "the history of mankind is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations on the part of man toward woman." Following a long list of grievances were resolutions for equitable laws, equal educational and job opportunities, and the right to vote.

With the Union victory in the Civil War, women abolitionists hoped their hard work would result in suffrage for women as well as for blacks. But the 14th and 15th Amendments to the Constitution, adopted in 1868 and 1870 respectively, granted citizenship and suffrage to blacks but not to women.

Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony,  formed the National Woman Suffrage Association (NWSA) in New York, and other women did the same in other states.
The struggle to win the vote was slow and frustrating. Wyoming Territory in 1869, Utah Territory in 1870, and the states of Colorado in 1893 and Idaho in 1896 granted women the vote but the Eastern states resisted. A woman-suffrage amendment to the Federal Constitution, presented to every Congress since 1878, repeatedly failed to pass.

In my opinion, I can't imagine how hard was their situation, I can't imagine why, men did not want to give rights to women, I did not know why they think like that and I did not undesrtand the reason or reasons that impeded to women to have rights. It does not have anything bad, on the contrary, their rights can help the improvement of society.

4 comentarios:

  1. Congratulations for your thoughts, you're a great writer, continue like that!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I think that society of that time in which women were discriminated was kind of afraid because they know the big knowledge and ability that women have, so they did not allow them to participate actively because they could be overcome by women.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. I have been thinking just like you, and I realized that men were very intelligent because they were stopping the development of women because they knew that women could do a lot of things that were not so good for men, like take decisions or have the rights to have the same things and right than them.

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Yes, it was surely hard to live with all those limits.

    ResponderEliminar